tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 29 05:51:03 1996

Postmodernism & tlhIngan Hol

I'm speaking on Postmodernism and its effects on society in a couple weeks and
thought I'd put a different spin on it.  Those of you who know what this
worldview is, understand that the entire theory is based on language.  Language
is the basis for your own individual understanding and your own relative truth.
You can't escape the language with which you speak.  Thought is based on your
language, everything you interpret through sight, hearing, etc. is filtered
through language.  (The entire "politically correct" phenomenon is largely
postmodern -- changing thought by changing words.)

What I'd like to do is throw a wrench in the works by introducing the dilemma of
*artificial* language -- particularly tlhIngan Hol.  Can the creation of an
artificial language -- especially the uniquely alien tlhIngan Hol -- fit into
the postmodern theory?  Can an individual escape his/her own language in order
to be able to create another?  Does this contradict the underpinnings of
postmodern thought?  Does it strengthen it?

I could go on, but I won't.  I'd like to leave it at least somewhat open.

I get the list in digest form, so if you respond to the list, please copy me at
the attached e-mail address so I can get the message faster.

ghunchu'wI' & ~mark:  If you feel this is somewhat off-topic, feel free to let
me know.  I'll can take this off-list if necessary.

I threw this message together rather quickly, so if it doesn't make sense, let
me know.

Dave S.
HarwI'na'

Now back to your regularly scheduled e-mail list...

Back to archive top level