tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 28 22:11:03 1996

Re: Is there any GOOD Klingon on video?

At 07:30 PM 7/28/96 -0700, you wrote:

>My aunt, who teaches linguistics at George Mason University in Virginia,
>has begun using Klingon in phonetics exercises. She writes:  "Somehow, to
>them, Klingon is inherently more interesting, attention-grabbing than,
>say, Quechua."
>
>She sent me her class handouts for comments and corrections -- I'm taking
>care of that -- but she adds another question which, with as little tube
>time as I have, I'm not qualified to answer (though I suspect the answer
>is "There ain't no such beast!"):
>
>  On the next round, I'd like them to listen to more Klingon
>  -- the video I had was too short. Can you recommend a
>  TV episode or movie segment in which there is a lot of
>  *good* Klingon spoken? If it was one that is *for sale*,
>  that would be great, 'cause then I can show it in my class
>  each semester and put it on reserve. (Or, if you could
>  send me a good copy of a clip, that would be second best.)
>
>Can anyone help me with this?

There is a sizeable amount of Klingon spoken in Star Trek III: The Search
for Spock (coincidentally, the movie for which the Klingon Language was
invented).  There is also a bit of Klingon in Star Trek V, VI, and I believe
I remember a little bit in Generations.

Marc Okrand was actually consulted for translations and pronunciation
coaching for the movies (has he told you his story about coaching Spice
Williams while she was eating an apple? {{:-> ), whereas what you get from
episodes is, uh, less than exemplary.

           Eric Koske, Register Data Systems, Register Communications

            WPGA AM 980, FM 100.9, and TV Channel 58  Macon, Georgia
    Computer Tech, Tech Support, Archbishop of Phones, Fledgling Programmer
              1619 Forsyth St., Macon, GA  31210     (912)745-5858
                      http://www.hom.net/~regcomm/wpgatv/

Back to archive top level