tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 26 14:03:07 1996

-neS and batlh

     I was hoping that one of the Grammarians could explain if there is a
consensus on the proper use of the Type 8 Verbal Suffix "-neS" and the
adverbial "batlh".

     I seem to remember during the workshop on verbal suffixes at the
qep'a', that it was stated that "-neS" is best interpreted as an
honorific such as in:

     "You are a complete knothead, SIR."  or
     "One bimbo or two, MR. PRESIDENT?"  or
     "I won't pay this speeding ticket, YOUR HONOR."

     Yet, TKD page 43, uses two examples.  The first is the ubiquitous <
qaleghneS >, which is translated as "I am honored to see you."  The next
is < HIja'neS >, which is translated as "Do me the honor of telling me."
Using the first method, wouldn't < qaleghneS > be "I see you, YOUR
HONOR."?  I seem to remember Okrand using both methods on one of the
audio tapes, but what is the correct interpretation?

     This brings me to the adverbial "batlh".  At the end of one of the
tapes Okrand says, < batlh qaghojmoH >.  This is translated as, "It has
been an honor to instruct you."  Page 56 of TKD defines "batlh" as
meaning "with honor, in an honored fashion."  Doesn't this mean that <
batlh qaghojmoH > could just as easily be translated as, "I teach you
WITH HONOR."  This changes the meaning of the sentence completely.

     Is there any agreement on how these should correctly be used (or am
I completely on the wrong track here)?

     Satlho'

     qejwit

Thomas M. Zeman                         " reH nuHmey tu'lu' "

Chairman, Connecticut Division, United States Fencing Association
Prime Minister, Fat Dog Fencing Club, Wallingford, CT

University of Bridgeport:  Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA
EMAIL:  [email protected]  and/or  [email protected]
PGP Public Key:  0145FDE5  (Keyfile available upon request)

Back to archive top level