tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 24 19:24:32 1996

Re: "Kahless" story book

Mark J. Reed writes:
>We don't have canon supporting ordinals as adverbs; even in English,
>this use of "first" is something of a special case, that doesn't work for other
>ordinals.  How about this:
>
>  <<Birthright, Part II>> lablu'DI' lo'choHlu'.
>
>  When "Birthright, Part II" was transmitted, it began to be used.

This is a situation where using {-ghach} makes some sense to me.
{qaSDI' "Birthright, Part II" labta'ghach wa'DIch, 'oH lo'lu'}
"As soon as [the episode's] first transmission happened, it was used."
(The word {jabbI'ID} isn't the same kind of "transmission".)

Ordinal numbers don't necessarily work as adverbs, but by nominalizing
the verb, we can get a similar effect while using them as adjectives.