tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 23 09:56:37 1996

Re: beQ'a' bIng 'avwI'

>Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 01:33:26 -0700
>From: "A.Appleyard" <[email protected]>

>  ghItlhpu' A.Appleyard (`# ') 'ej jangpu' Mark E. Shoulson (`> ')
>(Subject: beQ'a' bIng 'avwI'):-
>  (`$' = DaH vIlughmoHbogh, tlhej tlho'mey)

># SovchoHpu' bIQ'a' bIng tlhuHwI'mey lo'wI'pu' law', yoSmajDaq bIQ'a' bIngDaq
># nIHmeH jaHpu'DI' chaH.

>> jIyajchu'be'.  nuq nIHlu'?  'ej nIH 'Iv?

>  beltaHmeH vengmeyvo' bIQ'a'Daq ghoS tlhuHwI' lo'wI'pu' [= scuba divers], 'ej
>bIQ'a' bIng biQDujpuymey <part>mey <shellfish>mey je (yInmeH neHbogh bIQ'a'

"part" Da'oSmeH, chaq "'ay'" Dalo'laH?

>HeH yoSnganpu') niHtaH chaH (vaj jatlhtaH vay' bIQ'a' HeH yoSnganpu'). -

Hmm... Were it not a verb of speaking, I'd say you should have "'e'" and
not "vaj."  Clearly you don't mean "so" in the sense of "therefore," but in
the sense of "in this manner", or in the case of saying, "this is what they
say."  Perhaps "pumvam ja'..."

>yoSDajDaq bIQ'a' bIngDaq jaHbogh Hochna' veQ Qaw'chu' B bIQ bIng Duj, ratlh
>pagh: pagh leghlu' bIQ DungDaq bejbogh vengnganpu'.

How come you have a subject (bIQ DungDaq bejbogh vengnganpu') after a verb
with "-lu'" (which specifies the subject to be indefinite)?

>#   ({vaj} here = "thus", not "warrior". Homophones can be a pest.)
>> But they're also part of the fun of a language.  Homophony happens.
>  But in excess homophonies can be a nuisance.

I guess it depends on what counts as "in excess" then.  After all, Modern
Mandarin (the language you used as an example) has an average of like *six*
homophones for *every* morpheme in common speech, including tones.  Small
wonder they try to cut down here and there!

>  Someone wrote that this homophony ({vaj} = "thus" and "warrior") was caused
>by a retro-fit. Please has anyone out there got a complete list of all these
>film and episode Klingon retro-fits?, so I can see how they have affected the
>development of Okrandian tlhIngan Hol.

I think at least some have shown up in articles in HolQeD; I'm pretty sure
the "vaj toDuj Daj ngeHbej DIvI'" did, in an article by Captain Krankor.

~mark

Back to archive top level