tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 22 21:50:21 1996

Re: Wired magazine

At 09:26 PM 7/22/96 -0700, you wrote:

>As mentioned at the qep'a', there is an article in Wired magazine which
>discusses the Klingon language.  I read the article today, and was quite
>impressed.

>One other interesting thing: on the cover of the magazine, there is some
>writing in Klingon, using the KLI pIqaD, which says "yIHujqu'".  I wonder
>which meaning of {Hur} they were referring to.  And while I'm at it, just who
>gave them that word and the appropriate pIqaD font?

I stumbled across that magazine article by accident...  I like the game
Quake and noticed an article on the cover, but across the forehead of one of
the people pictured on the cover was the tlhIngan writing mentioned above.
I may have injured a few people getting to the shelf, but I think they'll live.

I translated it as 'be really strange!'  I was rather proud of being able to
pronounce the phrase from the pIqaD writing even though I could not identify
the word 'Huj' without a dictionary.  I can easily see where they could be
commanding you to 'be really charged up!' as well.

Check it out.  The article speaks as favorably (if not more so!) about
tlhIngan as it does Esperanto and numerous other custom-designed languages.

,-------+-----.    Eric Koske, Register Data Systems, Register Communications.
| |/~ /-|  /~ |     WPGA AM 980, FM 100.9, and TV Channel 58   Macon, Georgia
| |   \_|  _/ |  Computer Tech, Tech Support, Archbishop of Phones, Whatzit
Guru.
`-------------'       1619 Forsyth St., Macon, GA  31210      (912)745-5858

Back to archive top level