tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 22 19:58:36 1996

Re: misc

qaSDI' 96-07-22 16:51:43 EDT, jatlh ~mark:

> Klingon doesn't use "'e'" with verbs of saying, or indirect quotes:
>
>  "*matlh* vIHoHrup" jatlh *Kirk*, 'ach nep.

That's a bit I've been having trouble believing: that one cannot express
indirect quotes.  Kirk did not say "*matlh* vIHoHrup."  He didn't even say "I
am ready to kill Maltz."  His exact quote was "Help us or die."

Just a theory, which I am *not* espousing the use of, is that {'e'} can be
used with verbs of saying which utilize indirect quotes.  Either that, or
perhaps one can use indirect quotes, with the vagueness of not knowing
whether these are the person's exact words.

jatlhmeH wotmey vIqeltaH 'e' vImuSHa'ba' . . .

SuStel
Stardate 96558.8

Back to archive top level