tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 20 13:25:03 1996

Re: Klingon "was"

In a message dated 96-07-20 15:52:54 EDT, Eric Peden writes:

<< naDev chu' jIH. tlhIngan Hol loQ jIjatlhlaH. But not very well. I was
 wondering, how would I go about contructing a sentence similar to "I was in
 the engine room", spoken in response to something like "Where were you?"
 I'm having quite a bit of difficulty, since there are not tenses in
 tlhInganHol. >>

Without KLBC in the subject line, I am going to jump in and help a little
here.

naDev jIchu' jIH is more correct grammatically.  I prefer recasting the
sentence entirely.  naDev wa'logh jIghoSta' OR tlhIngan Hol ghojwI' chu' jIH.

tlhIngan Hol loQ jIjatlhlaH needs to be loQ tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhlaH.  Adverbs
preceed the Object.  Since this sentence has an Object, the Verb prefix needs
to be vI- instead of jI-.

I was in the engine room = jonta'pa'Daq jIHpu'

Although -pu' is not a tense word, rather is aspect, it still indicates that
the action is complete.  The sentence implies that the speaker is no longer
in the engine room.

Keep up the good studies.

Back to archive top level