tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 19 21:19:07 1996

Re: A.Appleyard using a betleH

A.Appleyard asked:
>Has anyone had a go at betlaH fencing in reality (with safely blunt edges
>and points!) and found whether they are as useful as scriptwriters and story
>writers make them out to be?

I have a metal betleH and a couple 'practice' betleHs.  All Hollywood movies
want ACTION.  A real betleH fight would not have all that twirling, and it
would be relatively quick.  Twirling betleHs and five minutes of
block-strike-block-strike is for the audience.  Keep it simple.  Your
opponent strikes, you parry in the same motion of your counter-attack.  When
you attack, don't just stand there and swing, you want to drive through your
opponent.
    The betleH is an excellent weapon in the hands of a trained warrior.
With proper training you could defeat your enemy in only one second with
only one move (I've done it with the practice betleH.  I learned the move
from an ancient story that my sensei told me).
   Keep in mind that the betleH is not for close-quarters combat.  You need
space to use a betleH.  If you don't have the space then choose another weapon.

DloraH

Back to archive top level