tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 17 08:26:10 1996

Re: KLBC: jIlIH'egh [Introduction]

>I thought there was a word for "mine" as a noun someplace; I just didn't
>look carefully.  Yes, bIQ tlhIlHal sounds quite nice for "well" (though
>since it's a compound of Hal I'm not sure it's really any better than just
>"bIQ Hal," unless you have a need to specifically note that it's like a
>mine.) ~mark

The problem is that if someone said {bIQ Hal} "water source", I would
understand it to mean maybe a tap, a river mouth, a spring, etc. but not
specifically a well.  On the other hand {bIQ tlhIlHal} "water mine" seems
to me to refer to a well pretty unambiguously.  But until we have a word
for "well", we'll just have to improvise.

 dave yeung

Back to archive top level