tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 16 16:04:31 1996

Any philosophers out there?

jIQubtaH, vaj jIH.

This is my rendering of "I think, therefore I am."  I have decided that the
Klingon expresses the concept much more accurately than the English.  I have
rarely met anyone who actually understood what the statement "I think
therefore I am" means.  I don't speak Latin, so I don't know exactly how the
"sum" in "cogito ergo sum" means, but I'm beginning to think that the Klingon
is better than the original!  After all, in English, and in, I suppose,
Latin, you need a verb to express what you're talking about, but in Klingon,
you get a great sense of *pronoun*, which is exactly what the point of the
statement is!  I won't go into any great philosophical delving here, but if
anyone here has some understanding of this famous saying, please consider and
comment on my Klingon version!

SuStel
Stardate 96541.9

Back to archive top level