tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 15 08:47:07 1996

Re: KLBC: burghSuD puqloD bang

"Mark E. Shoulson" <[email protected]> wrote:-
> ...  The same holds true for many (not all) other languages. If you can go
> by "David Bolger" in English (and not Beloved Yellow-belly-son), you can go
> by DeyvID boljer (or anything, for that matter, any meaningless syllables)
> in Klingon.

And, if I was writing in Dutch about my journeys from Manchester into Wales, I
would e.g. leave the English placename {Queensferry} alone and not translate
it into Dutch as {Koninginsveer}. But those who like to temporarily be in
some other place and time, likely often feel that the similitude is more
realistic if they choose a personal name that fits that time and place.

Back to archive top level