tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 15 08:38:33 1996

KLBC: RE: ID cards

ghItlh A. Appleyard:

>[email protected] (Alan Anderson) wrote:-
>> But now I don't know what you're trying to translate.  Is it a form to
be
>> filled out, or is it an ID card?  A form consists of questions and
places
>> in which to enter answers; that's what I've had in mind while
suggesting
>> appropriate ways to deal with it.  An ID card only has to *identify*
its
>> owner; the owner himself is present and doesn't need to be described.

>An ID card should describe somewhat the person, so whoever is checking
the ID
>card can check that someone is not trying to get in with someone else's
ID
>card.

latlh ngu'bogh navHom nIH petaQ neH! ngu'lu'meH navHom ghajnISbe'
tlhInganna'; not pongDaj'e' nep ghaH. batlh qorDu' pongchaj tuQ
tlhInganpu'.

Only a petaQ would steal another's ID card! A true Klingon does not need
 a card to be identified; he would never lie about his name.  Klingons
wear their family names with honor.

It may not be a practical attitude, but Klingons often value honor above
practicality.

(Note: I don't have an extended wordlist, so I could not come up with the
word for house (clan), and qorDu' has to do.  Also, I am not sure of the
placement of pongDaj'e' as an extraneous noun (though the 'e' seemed to
work perfectly). I may have stretched the use of tuQ, but maybe I'm just
being poetic {{:-)> )

pagh

Back to archive top level