tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 15 05:35:56 1996

_HolQeD_

Well, I received the new _HolQeD_ this weekend, and it was quite
interesting. I note, however, that Marc Okrand's response to Mark
Mandel's letter seems to contradict Mark Shoulson's (eek, too many
Marks!) observation about the difference between {Hoch}+singular and
{Hoch}+plural.

I'm referring to Okrand's comment that {Hoch nav HablI'}, which marqem
intended to be "everyone's fax machine", could be interpreted as "all
the fax machines" *because the plural marker is never required*.  That
note seems to imply to me that the presence or absence of a plural
marker makes no difference in {Hoch} constructions.

Comments?

-marqoS

P.S. This confusion between "all" and "everyone's" is one of the reasons
     I preferred the {X Hoch} syntax, but c'est la vie.

--
Mark J. Reed                     |
Email: [email protected]	         |  HP Internet/System Security Lab

Back to archive top level