tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 14 22:53:33 1996

RE: KLBC-jIlIH'egh vIneH

SaraH writes:
>vIlaD <Federation language (English) many,  Klingon language few or Klingon
>language many, English few  That I want to know.>

The "quoted" translation is the verb's object, so it has to come first.

>tlhob Hech ghaH vIqub <jatlhwI' 'ar>

You need some {'e'}s here (see TKD 6.2.5) and the "quoted" sentence ought
to be adjacent to the verb-of-saying {tlhob}.

{<jatlhwI' 'ar> tlhob 'e' Hech ghaH 'e' vIQub}

>tlhIngan Hol pab vISovbe', vaj mu'mey vImugh.

maj.  pab DaSovlaw'.  pup mu'tlheghvam.

>jabbI'IDmey vIlaD.  tlhIngan Hol pab vIghoj vInID.

{...vIghoj vInID} is a sentence-as-object construction; you need to study
the examples in TKD 6.2.5 to see where and why to use the pronoun {'e'}.
{tlhIngan Hol pab vIghoj 'e' vInID} "I try that I learn tlh-H's grammar."

If you want to express the idea "in order to", use the verb suffix {-meH}:
{tlhIngan Hol pab vIghojmeH jabbI'IDmey vIlaD} "I read 'e-mail' in order
that I learn tlh-H's grammar."

><Qaghmey yIja'> vIjatlhQo'.  boja' vISov. :)

The suffix {-Qo'} indicates refusal, not simple negation.  I know it's
given as "don't!, won't" in TKD, but this "don't!" is not the simple
"do not" you're trying to say.  It's an imperative "command" form of
{-be'}.  The non-imperative meaning is "won't", which isn't a future
tense "will not"; it means "refuses to" (see TKD 4.3).

Again, you've left out a necessary {'e'} in a sentence-as-object:
{boja' 'e' vISov}.

>I don't say "Tell me my mistakes."  I know you will.

The biggest mistake I'll point out is that you claim to be intentionally
translating words without grammar.