tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 12 13:07:52 1996

noun + noun : `of the' or `which equals'?

"Mark J. Reed" <[email protected]> wrote (Subject: Re: William Martin,
petaQ SoH);-

> ... If you want to say "Captain of the battle cruiser taj", then try
> {may'Duj "taj" HoD}. Also, your title should technically be {jubwI' HoD},
> not {HoD jubwI'} (although some have chosen to ignore that little rule,
> notably Captain Krankor (HoD Qanqor)).

This sounds like more aggro resulting from not having a separate construction
to say "the X which is a Y" where X and Y are both nouns. {Duj X} could also
mean "the spaceship's X"; {X Duj} could also mean "the X's spaceship" -
whichever is used to mean "the spaceship named X" or "the spaceship which is
an X". Is {X ghaHbogh Y} correct for "the Y which is an X"?

batlh Hegh yoHbogh; 'ach yIn veS nejbe'bogh 'ej Qulbogh loDpu' Sep, 'ej vaj
puSpa' qu'ghach boghmoHviS boghpu'bogh. (The brave die with honour [in
battle]; but those who do not seek war live and breed men who resemble them [=
like breeds like], and thus [the amount of] fierceness becomes less while
those who have been born give birth [= as generations pass].) I.e. a society
like the Klingons is likely to get less aggressive and more orderly as many
generations pass.

Back to archive top level