tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 12 13:02:33 1996

Apostrophes (was RE: The Klingon Way (New Words Part 3))

ghItlh lo'tar:

I do use backward apostrophes because forward ones are inter- preted
by the server as a 4. I think Qapla` looks better as
Qapla4 .

choQochbe``a`      ( Do you agree? )
<<<
ghobe'. Lo'tar, we have a problem here that probably relates to a
difference in national character sets; in this case, judging by your email
address, Germany vs. US. You no doubt were using something that
looks like a curly apostrophe on your display, but which somewhere in
the mail system gets changed to a 4. That shouldn't happen with ASCII
characters, but would not be surprising with high-bit characters (>127).
So what you see as an apostrophe is probably NOT the ASCII character '
(decimal value 39, hexadecimal 27). Look at it and tell us if it looks
different from what you type that turns into a 4 for us. Now examine
your keyboard. You may have a key for an acute accent, which your
system may combine with a following vowel letter to give you an
accented letter. But there should be some way to get that character by
itself, perhaps typing a space after it. THAT is probably the character
that we type and see as apostrophe (').

     marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
Subcmdr. Markemm, Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!
**              Mark A. Mandel : [email protected]             **
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/
=> KLINGON PAGE! http://www.dragonsys.com/klingon/klingon.html <=

Back to archive top level