tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 11 16:00:24 1996

Re: KLBC:jatmey

nuqHm writes:
>I've been looking at jatmey and attempting to translate the work...

I didn't want to respond until David had a chance to explain his words.
Now that he has, I'd like to make some other grammatical points about
the "chapter" titles.

>lut'a' - D.Barron
>"Big story" /[SAGA ?]

I prefer to translate it as something closer to "great story".
The phrase "big story" is {lut tIn}, which doesn't have the same
connotation of "epic" or "saga" that {lut'a'} does.

>A big story which contains small stories.

It's dangerous to always translate the noun suffixes {-'a'} and {-Hom}
as "big" and "small", respectively.  Try to see how they augment or
diminish the *meaning* of the noun, not the size of the thing described.

>1 - Beginning of story
Literally, "the story begins."

>2 - visual display words
You have the words backwards; it should be "words' visual display"

>3 - one becomes two
David corrected this as "two becomes one".  I wonder if {cha'} ought to
count as a plural subject here; if so, {moj} really should have had the
prefix {lu-} on it in order to be correct "High Klingon".

>4 - Does the sword live ?
David also corrected this: "Life is a sword."

>5 - The story of the BetleH (Honour sword/sword of honour)
"The story of the honor-sword" is right; {betleH} doesn't apply.

>6 - Kahless' Oath
Fine.

>7 - The fool meets the storm (This has got to be about the pillock at the
>gates of Qin'Lat !)
{SuS'a'} doesn't quite imply "storm" to me, but otherwise this is fine.

>8 - Death of a warrior
Literally, either "death's warrior" or (more likely) "the warrior dies."

>9 - more visual display words
The word order is wrong; this is "another of the words' visual display"
(assuming this is a correct use of {latlh}, which isn't certain).

>10 - someone/thing causes the man to be honoured / The man becomed honoured
Don't ignore the {-bogh}; this should be "the man whom one honors"

>11 - Fire in the heart
The lost {-bogh} in this translation isn't important to the meaning, but I
would translate it "fire which is present in the heart"

>12 - Final visual display words
"Final words' visual display"