tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 11 08:50:37 1996

RE: KLBC :I'm learning!

>It was mentioned by Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen about a Replacement Proverb. What
>is a Replacement Proverb?

Replacement proverbs are mentioned in the Power Klingon audio tape from Simon
& Schuster.  A Replacement proverb is used when a Klingon "flubs" something up
and is a ritualistic attempt to regain favor.  I only remember a couple of
them but several were mentioned:

DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'.  (Set fire on the side when there is
danger.)

Hagh qoHpu'neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'.  (Only fools laugh while warriors die.)

Oh I forget this is one too.

HIvqa'  veqlargh.  (The Fek'lhr strikes again.)

I got the impression it is more ritualistic and to KNOW that you do this is
more often than not a way to regain favor after your mistake.  However, it it
doesn't work there are specific instructions about leaving the Empire as
quickly as possible.  The Power Klingon tape is quite enjoyable and even if
you can't get all the Klingon down the English commentary is quite humorous.

reH nay'meylIjyIn Dujablu'jaj

qeq

Back to archive top level