tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 09 14:35:57 1996

Re: Noun apposition: X which is Y versus X's Y

qaSDI' 96-07-09 04:10:36 EDT, jatlh A.APPLEYARD:

> What if Kahless had other sons, who were also loyal? Sometimes the great
god
>  Context, that much automatically relied-on resolver of ambiguities,
proves,
>  like Baal on the mountain, to be `gone a-hunting' or otherwise absent from
>  duty. This partly is due to written Klingon having no way to capitalize
>  proper-names, and partly due to it (like "Y-e-X" in Persian) using the
same
>  construction for "X which is Y" and "X's Y".

Remember that no Klingon uses our transcription system.  It's a convenience
for Federation people.  Perhaps the {pIqaD} has some sort of method of noting
proper names (or perhaps not).

SuStel
Stardate 96522.5

Back to archive top level