tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 08 20:58:42 1996

Re: Terminology gap...suggestions sought

Jason Green writes:
>...On my English page, I mention that I maintain a list of Choirs
>with Web pages.  The only one of these terms with which I have difficulty
>is Choir.  I know about bom ("sing") However, bowwI'pu' would suggest to
>me "singers" instead of "choirs".  Any suggesstions?

Perhaps {bombogh ghommey} "groups which sing" or {bommeH ghommey} "groups
for singing"?  I choose to use the general plural suffix {-mey} instead of
{-pu'} because I don't think the groups in this sense use language, but
I could probably go either way here.

Tony Harris writes:
>How about bomwI'ghom (group of singers)?  Similar to mangghom for army or
>nejghom for searchparty....

This works too; {bomwI'ghommey} "singer-groups".