tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 08 19:58:48 1996

Re: KLBC: Questions on word translation

On Sun, 7 Jul 1996 [email protected] wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I was questioning myself which is the correct term for these words
>
> Surname (Family name)           qorDu'

I believe the word you're looking for is {tuq}.

> Can I use this term that means family as House or Clan name?
>

> Nationality              rewbe' (citizen)
>
> I can't find an appropriate term in the Klingon Dictionary for nationality,
> the most similar term that I found is citizen, but how can I say citizenship
> in Klingon?

How did the Klingon Shakespeare Restoration Project translate the phrase
"the undiscovered COUNTRY"?  Anyone?

> Date of Birth           qoS (Birthday)
>
> But it has the same meaning, or litteraly I must use jaj for day, but I
> didn't find any equivalent term for birth (there is one?)

Try {bogh}.

> Place of Birth          Daq-???
>
> Not having found a term for birth I can't come up with a word to use
> together with Daq (place) Any ideas?

How about {nuqDaq bogh}?

> Date of issue          jajtagh
>
> Can I use tagh meaning "begining of a process" and day at the place of date?

I would use {ghorgh tagh}.

> Date of expiry            jajta'
>
> And ta' in place of expiry? Have any other suggestions?

How about {ghorgh rIn}?

> Residence       juH
>
> I think that home can be used to mean residence.
>
> sex
>
> i didn't found any Klingon word in the Klingon Dictionary indicating the sex
> of person or animals. Is there any?

You can get by with {loD be' ghap}, but there must be a better way.

> Height
>
> I can' find the correct way to say Height, the only two words that are verbs
> that in my humble opinion suit better are  tIn (to be big) and jen (to be
> tall) but how do you make them nouns? This point puzzle me.

You don't.  Klingon, unlike English, is verb-centred.  You can use
{-ghach} but that's considered to be ugly.

> color of eyes
>
> Ok, mIn means eye, but I didn't find any word for color. Without starting a
> big discussion on what color means for Klingons already discussed in this
> list, it's possible that Klingons have all the same eye color? There is no
> word (at least I didn't found it) for color in Klingon. Hints?

Can't help you with that one.

> Thanks to anyone that can give suggestions, they are welcome!
>

> Andrea

dave yeung

Back to archive top level