tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 06 16:01:09 1996

Re: My Name

qaSDI' 96-07-06 01:39:22 EDT, jatlh Voragh:

[I had written]
> >As far as a war-dress goes, why not try {veS tuQ} or maybe {veStuQ}
>  >(literally, "war clothes"), or {SuvmeH tuQ} "clothes for fighting."
>
>  What's the difference between a "war-dress" and a "uniform" {HIp}? Is it
>  some sort of field uniform (like battle-green fatigues), or is it a dress
>  uniform/ceremonial costume? We didn't use this term when I was in the
Navy.

Actually, I'd never heard the term "war-dress" before I read David Bolger's
post.  I worked out its meaning, of course, and I rather like the flavor of
it.  It's got (to me) a connotation of hand-to-hand combat, with a medieval
or ancient feel.

I hadn't even considered using {HIp}, but I think that's because it's not
quite the same idea.  A waiter can wear a uniform, but not a "war-dress."  I
don't know if there are any restrictions on the exact connotation of {HIp},
but it doesn't seem to have the same meaning as, say, {SuvmeH tuQ}.

SuStel
Stardate 96514.0

Back to archive top level