tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 05 22:36:44 1996

Re: My Name

In a message dated 96-07-05 20:59:03 EDT, David Bolger wrote:
>>  need somebody to translate my name (David Bolger) to Klingon, my
>>  First Name (David) apperently means 'beloved', my surname (Bolger) is
>>  derived from the Irish words, Bolg, meaning 'Belly' and Oir, meaning
>>  'Yellow' :) (My families war-dress had a Yellow front)  ....

SuStel replied on Stardate 96512.3:
>Since my name is also David, I went through the following sequence of ideas.
>David means "beloved," so what word could I use to mean that?  When I
>realized that the word was {bang}, which sounded stupid for a name (although
>I think {bangteH} is a good Klingon name . . . no, really!), and when that
>made me realize that "beloved" was stupid for a Klingon name anyway, I
>dropped the whole David business completely.   ....

Here's another etymology for the name "David." There is an ancient
Akkadian or Amorite word "dawidum" which, if I remember the argument
correctly, referred to a relatively high-ranking military commander. It
has been suggested that "david" is simply the ancient Hebrew version of
this common Semitic title, which was one of the words used to refer to the
guerilla leader who eventually became better known as "King David" (rather
like "Commandante Zero") as the original meaning as a rank was lost in
later Hebrew. I need to check with the Semiticists out there (Mark
Shoulson are you reading this?) If so, then David is an imminently
suitable name for a Klingon!

>To help tide you over until then, let me answer your question:
>burgh = stomach (n)
>SuD = be yellow, be blue, be green

{chor} "belly" is better. I've always taken {burgh} to refer to the organ
of digestion.

>As far as a war-dress goes, why not try {veS tuQ} or maybe {veStuQ}
>(literally, "war clothes"), or {SuvmeH tuQ} "clothes for fighting."

What's the difference between a "war-dress" and a "uniform" {HIp}? Is it
some sort of field uniform (like battle-green fatigues), or is it a dress
uniform/ceremonial costume? We didn't use this term when I was in the Navy.

Voragh
(whose name means absolutely nothing -- so far as I know!)

Back to archive top level