tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 05 21:08:03 1996

Re: My Name

In a message dated 96-07-05 20:59:03 EDT, David Bolger wrote:

>  need somebody to translate my name (David Bolger) to Klingon, my
>  First Name (David) apperently means 'beloved', my surname (Bolger) is
>  derived from the Irish words, Bolg, meaning 'Belly' and Oir, meaning
>  'Yellow' :) (My families war-dress had a Yellow front), my Dad's name
>  is Paul. Any help in translating it would be greatly appreciated :-)
>
>  Quapla'

Since my name is also David, I went through the following sequence of ideas.
 David means "beloved," so what word could I use to mean that?  When I
realized that the word was {bang}, which sounded stupid for a name (although
I think {bangteH} is a good Klingon name . . . no, really!), and when that
made me realize that "beloved" was stupid for a Klingon name anyway, I
dropped the whole David business completely.  Of course, as people keep
saying, it's your name, and you can choose whatever you like!

Do you have a copy of The Klingon Dictionary yet?  If not, that should be
your first step.  It really is more or less essential to have one of these to
learn Klingon.  You can find them at most bookstores in the US, but from your
e-mail address I guess that you're not in the US (where is .ie?).  You can
also order lots of goodies (including The Klingon Dictionary) by visiting the
Klingon Language Institute's web page at www.kli.org.

To help tide you over until then, let me answer your question:

burgh = stomach (n)
SuD = be yellow, be blue, be green

As far as a war-dress goes, why not try {veS tuQ} or maybe {veStuQ}
(literally, "war clothes"), or {SuvmeH tuQ} "clothes for fighting."  I don't
know if you'd want to use any of these ideas in a name or not, but again,
that's up to you.

By the way, the word for "success" is {Qapla'}, not {Quapla'}.  It's not
pronounced like English "kw," but rather by shoving the tongue all the way
back in the mouth and making a raspy sound like choking.  There's no "w"
sound in "Q."

SuStel
Stardate 96512.3

Back to archive top level