tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 05 20:11:42 1996

Re: usage of Hoch and latlh

In a message dated 96-07-05 02:43:52 EDT, peHruS wrote:

> For "everyone's ancestors," I prefer Hoch nuv/ghot no'.  I agree completely
>  that I would like to have the confusion cleaned up.  So far, it appears
that
>  Hoch acts like a number and preceeds the noun.

Don't forget that {Hoch} is really a noun, and may still be used as such.
 Although {Hoch no'} could mean either "everyone's ancestors" or "all of the
ancestors," I think this is just a case where context would make the meaning
clear.  Actually, I'm not sure there is a very significant difference anyway.

{Hoch nuv no'} makes sense, too, but perhaps it would only be needed if the
context were not already clear.

SuStel
Hovjaj 96512.1

Back to archive top level