tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 01 15:05:15 1996

Re: "Where do you want to sit?"

In a message dated 96-07-01 12:57:02 EDT, marqoS wrote:

> This weekend my {be'nal} and I were at a restaurant, and I wanted to
>  ask her where she wanted to sit. [. . .]

tlhIngan Hol jatlhlaH'a' be'nallI'?  bIDo'qu'!

>  	maba' nuqDaq 'e' DaneH?
>  But since {neH} doesn't take {'e'} - do you just
>  drop the {'e'} above and get {maba' nuqDaq DaneH}, or would it become
>  {nuqDaq maba' DaneH}?

Problems with {'e'} aside, ask yourself: are you asking where the sitting is
to take place, or where the wanting is to take place?  I feel assured that
it's the former, and so the answer to your question would be {nuqDaq maba'
DaneH}.

As for what the first version means, I'm not too sure.  It might be okay.
 However, I can't think of any case where one would ask where the wanting for
something should be done.  Your first sentence seems to be saying something
like, "Where do you do the wanting that we sit?"  It's a pointless sentence.

>  This is probably a bad casting of the question anyway, but the point is:
>  are sentences with {neH} still sentence-as-object, or single sentences,
>  where placement of adverbials is concerned?

Well, the book calls them two sentences . . .

SuStel
Hovjaj 96500.7

Back to archive top level