tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 01 10:18:42 1996

Kahless: The Novel

paqvamDaq tlhIngan Hol lo'pu' ghItlhwI'
'ach veQ Hol mu'mey law' 'ej QaQ tlhIngan Hol mu'mey puS

'ach qeylIS paq vIlaDpu' 'ej vItIvpu'qu'

The author of this book uses Klingon, however he uses many "trash"
Klingon words and few Klingon words.

But still I read the Kahless book, and I really enjoyed it.

---------

The author of this book, Kahless, Michael Jan Friedman uses Klingon
but mostly used a very bad dialect - full of words we'd never heard of
before.  Thats okay, he needed new vocabularly, and as noted I did
enjoy the book.  I'd guess we can accept it saying we are reading
Molor's dialect.

For the most part, Friedman seems to be inventing a lot (!) of new
words, nouns mostly, for things we don't know about.  The worst part
is his words combine letters that make no sense AT ALL as tlhIngan
words as we know them.  OTOH he does use -mey as the plural of things
so he knows SOMETHING.

Set in two era's, before Generations ("The Modern Era") , and
Kahless's era ("The Heroic Era"), the story follows the revelations of
a scroll that purports to tell the truth of Kahless's struggle against
Molor and a modern plot against Gowron, discovered by the cloned
Kahless.

The interleaved narrative follows Kahless, Worf and Picard unravelling
and fighting the plot against Gowron, while we see Kahless go from
Molor's warlord, to outlaw, to revolutionary.  This ancient tale is
the strength of the story (though at odds with some Klingon info we
have which I'd thought implied Kahless lived in a time of space
travel).  While, as noted, the language is really, REALLY distracting
to someone familiar with tlhIngan Hol, the tale to me was a good
source on Klingon culture.  Just squint when you read the "Klingon"
bits.

 joel anderson * [email protected] * [email protected]
   mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'
    http://pages.prodigy.com/mrklingon * [email protected]

Back to archive top level