tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 01 09:56:29 1996

Re: tlhIngan pongmey

>> I noticed people have Klingon names. Can my name be jIjub or jubwI'*?

>Your name is anything you want.  {jIjub} means "I am immortal," while
>{jubwI'} means "one who is immortal."  Of course, you can take any Klingon
>name you like, and it doesn't have to be a word!

Yah.  the name I use was thought up for a roleplaying game back in 1983 and
I've been using it ever since.  Back then, tlhIngan Hol didn't exist, but we
still knew about canon names like Kor and Koloth and Kang.

Even after tlhIngan Hol was created, we have names like Worf, Kruge,
Valkris, Torgh, Mogh, K'orrd, K'eylhr.
Those names generally don't translate into Klingon words any more than most
names translate directly into English (and the few that do seem to be
generally limited to surnames).

As Marc Okrand stated in the beginning of the Klingon Dictionary (And as we
can certainly tell by watching DS9 and TNG) there are more Klingon languages
than just the tlhIngan Hol we're familiar with, so come up with a name _you_
like, spell it any way you want, and wear it proudly. If you can spell it in
tlhIngan as well, all the better!  for my name, I translate it as {Qenatlh},
which also means nothing in tlhIngan.

Just like with the rest of Star Trek, the sky's not even *close* to the limit.

,-------+-----.    Eric Koske, Register Data Systems, Register Communications.
| |/~ /-|  /~ |     WPGA AM 980, FM 100.9, and TV Channel 58   Macon, Georgia
| |   \_|  _/ |  Computer Tech, Tech Support, Archbishop of Phones, Whatzit
Guru.
`-------------'       1619 Forsyth St., Macon, GA  31210      (912)745-5858

Back to archive top level