tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 30 17:03:30 1996

Re: Lang. tapes

Sami Laitala writes:
>I can't understand how people can get so pedantic
>about a language that's merely a joke in naive
>sci-fi movies. Oh, no - now I've deeply offended
>the readers' little fancy daydreams... how ghastly...

It might have begun as a "joke", but tlhIngan Hol is a real language.
Your remark unjustly trivializes the work Marc Okrand put in to turn
Paramount's requirement for a few lines of dialogue in Star Trek III
into a tool which we can use to complain about idiots, debate the concept
of cars (and rocks) having "spirits", discuss our own mortality, and
sometimes cause one another to roll on the floor laughing.

Hol potlh law' jatlhwI'pu'qoq potlh puS.  *I'm* not here because I
have fantasies of being a star-trekking alien with a wrinkled forehead
and a surly disposition. :-) I'm here because I enjoy the fun and the
intellectual challenge of working with a language that has a limited
vocabulary and an unusual grammar.