tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 30 05:45:10 1996

Re: KLBC: ropyaHDaq

I just want to comment that I think this post somewhat abuses
the KLBC header. You are clearly not a beginner. The story is
entertaining, but the kind of beginner who uses the KLBC banner
would not be up to this kind of volume or complexity of grammar.

While ghunchu'wI' has promised to comment on the post as a
whole, I just have one line I want to comment on:

>      <jIyaj.  chu'DI' to'baj 'uS 'oH nay''e' QaQ, 'ach ngo'choHDI' -
> SuQ.>

I suspect this is modeled after Okrand's "Revenge is a dish
best served cold," which is itself a rather strange sentence,
but your spin on it just feels uglier than a simpler recasting
which is not so "to be"-centric:

to'baj 'uS chu' Soplu'DI' QaQ nay', 'ach ngo'choHDI' SuQchoH.

See the difference between saying, "The dish is good," vs.
saying "It is a good dish." The latter simply sounds less
Klingon in nature and sounds more English in nature. The verb
{QaQ} already implies "to be". Why stuff both variations of "to
be" in the same sentence unnecessarily? It just gives me the
creeps.

> --ter'eS

charghwI'
--