tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 27 20:17:02 1996

Re: Newbies attempt at More Klingon Taglines

QlojmIt writes:
>>jabbI'IDvam DalaDta''a'?
>Can you read this data transmission?

There's nothing in the Klingon to indicate "ability", so the word
"can" isn't appropriate in the translation.  {ta'} is hard to say
concisely in English, but it's close to "accomplish".  I think it
should be "Do/did you accomplish reading this data transmission?"

>>ghItlhvam DalaDlaH vaj tlhIngan Hol Daghajchu'
>You can clearly read klingon, in that case write with your ability.

Hmm.. again with the "ability"?  In my earlier response to this, I wrote:
You can read this manuscript, so you clearly have[?] the Klingons' language.
[Maybe this should be {...Daghojchu'} instead.]

>>ghItlhHa'wI' jIH
>I am a writer

The suffix {-Ha'} would make this a "mis-writer" or "un-writer".
Maybe this is a joking reference to an "editor"?  As I said before, there
is some context missing.

>>DaH yImej!
>Now leave!

maj.

>>tlhIngan maH!
>We Klingon!

Even if we consider the "to be" usage of Klingon pronouns not to have an
explicit verb, when it is translated to English the verb still has to be
there.  "We _are_ Klingon."

>>bortas bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'-- }}}:-)
>Revenge is a dish best severd cold.  (in which case it should be bortaS)
                        ======
Look who's complaining about spelling. :-)

>>rIn tlhIngan wo' jabbI'IDvam
>Klingon empire tranmission finished.

Don't ignore the suffix {-vam}.

>>wa'leS bImISchugh vaj pa'wIj Daq vISov
>
>Ok, this one stumps me, I have
>"tommorow you confuse clearly -??"
>Can someone break this down for me?

{mIS} means "be confused", not "confuse".
{-chugh} is "if", not "clearly".
{pa'} meaning "thereabouts" doesn't normally get suffixes, so
{pa'wIj} must be using the other meaning of {pa'}.
And I think the last word should really be {DaSov}.
I believe it's a [mis]quote from something once said by Counselor Troi.