tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 25 19:49:03 1996

Re: KLBC "...do we not bleed?"

K'Daq writes:
> "Prick us, do we not bleed?"
>  loQ juDuQchugh 'e' 'Iw wIlIng'a'

Grammatically, the only problem is that {'e'} in the middle. It doesn't
belong in this sentence at all.  Other than that, the prefixes are fine,
the suffixes are fine, {loQ DuQ} is a pretty good translation.  I could
quibble about the intended meaning of {lIng}, but I suppose it works here.
You've done a pretty good job, except for the extraneous {'e'}.

I think I see why you might have put it in, but there is a difference
between a verb used in a subordinate clause (with a suffix of {-chugh},
{-mo'}, {-DI'}, {-pa'}, or {-vIS}) and a verb used in a sentence as
object.  The pronoun {'e'} is always an object, standing for the whole
previous sentence, and is usually translated as "that".  A subordinate
clause is used to set the conditions for a sentence.  Compare TKD section
6.2.2 "Subordinate clauses" and section 6.2.5 "Sentences as objects".

>  yIn vIghaj nuqDaq lIjyIn
>
>  I have a life.....where is yours ?

The sentiment is great, but there are two problems with the execution.
First, {-lIj} is a *suffix* and goes *after* the noun, thus: {yInlIj}.
Second, you have two sentences, but only one verb.  To say "where is
your life?" we invoke a special feature of pronouns that lets them act
as verbs in this sort of sentence; see TKD 6.3 for a discussion of the
concept of "to be" in Klingon.  {yIn vIghaj} is fine, but the question
should be {nuqDaq 'oH yInlIj'e'?}