tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 24 03:58:19 1996

"Be Prepared"

>> I just picked up Malibu Comic's DS9 #31...
>>       petlheDrupchoH: Disembark (you will begin being ready
>>                       to depart)

>I also wonder if the {-choH} is really necessary, since that
>tends to be implied in any imperitive. Why issue an order if
>not to bring about a change in state? I can see some instances
>when you might want to explicitly state a {-taH} or maybe even
>a {-ta'}, but the {-choH} sounds a little superfluous.

I can see the {-choH} as only partially superfluous. {-rup} is a prefix used to
indicate already established readiness or preparedness. {petlheDrup} could
translate in Destructivist Klingon as "Be prepared to disembark." (Note the past
tense on prepared). While it's sufficient for most, what they might want to
stress is (in DK again) "beCOME prepared to disembark," or "prepare to
disembark," which sounds far more like a command than a piece of advice.

-- David Wood, Freelance Computer Consultant
("Freelance" is just a cheesy way of saying "Irregularly Employed")

Back to archive top level