tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 23 09:57:57 1996

Re:

According to dlevy:

> What is with this guy (the author of the book)?

Twisted Ego.

> I've gotten a couple of
> all hate it.  What's up with the book and the author?

The author is historically significant. He started the Klingon
Language Camp in Red Falls, MN with high ideals and good people
(like Krankor), but by the time his ego and some of his strange
ideas got their momentum up, he had distanced himself from most
of the rest of the Klingon community, except for his own
separate faction of followers.

He ripped off David Barron, accepting merchandise on
commission, selling it and keeping all the money, and he has
published other people's art work and text without crediting
them or reimbursing them in any way. His justification for this
involves his own financial problems and his attempts to solve
them by selling his dubious expertise in tlhIngan Hol.

He has made up new words whole cloth and misinterpreted the
grammar in ways that extend beyond the realm of controversy. He
got us on the front page of the Wall Street Journal for his
declaration of something not unlike a holy war against those of
us involved in the Klingon Bible Translation Project, from
which he withdrew when we didn't accept some of his more ...
interesting translations of some of the text there, and he
hastily self-published his own version of the New Testiment. He
has similarly self-published his own version of Hamlet, knowing
full well that KLI has been working for a couple years now on a
serious attempt to translate the same work well.

Whenever he has seen an opportunity to touch a nerve and
irritate the rest of us, he has done so. Whenever he had an
opportunity for two way communication with us, he has refused
it. He has sent us some monodirectional documents, posted to
this list by a friend, in which he argued his case for some
very controversial interpretations of the grammar, but there is
little indication that he ever accepted or responded to any of
our feedback.

The result is that he has developed his own personal dialect of
Klingon which we don't speak and Okrand does not sanction.
Meanwhile, the langauge belongs to Okrand, not Proechel.

In short, while few of us here could be evaluated as socially
normal, Proechel has gone where no man has gone before. And
stayed waaaaaaaaay out there. We just pick up random signals
from time to time and consider it to be much like sun spots;
static to be tuned out.

> Should I even
> consider learning what is within its pages or find something better?
> 				Dave

Find something better.

charghwI'
--