tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 23 09:54:04 1996

Re: Repetition

ghItlh qeSmIv HarghwI':

I still need a way to say "in February." How about [...]
     juSvIS jar cha'DIch ...

<<<

First of all:
  -vIS 'while'    This suffix is always used along with the Type
                  7 suffix -taH 'continuous'. [TKD p.43]
 So it's never just [verb]-vIS, always [verb]-taHvIS.

Then, juS is glossed "pass, overtake", indicating that it doesn't
refer to the passage of time but to somebody passing somebody else
(evidently from behind), on foot or in a vehicle.  For the passage of
time, people on this list have generally used qaS(taH).  So it would
be qaStaHvIS.

But on the gripping hand, "at time T" (where time T is a noun of time
such as DaHjaj 'today' or wa'maH wa'vatlh rep "11:00 a.m. [lit. 1100
hours]") is expressed simply by putting the time noun at the front of
the sentence.  We have it canonically on the tape "Conversational
Klingon", at least with such time-of-day expressions as my second
example.  So that's the simplest way to put "in February" in your
sentence.  And since February is not just the second month of some
arbitrary process (like, say, the second month of a recruit's
enlistment), but month #2 in an established numbered series, why not
use the construction we're given for "when a number is used for
numbering" (TKD p.54)?:  jar cha'.

      marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
     Subcommander Markemm,
            Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!

                         Mark A. Mandel
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
  320 Nevada St. :  Newton, Mass. 02160, USA : [email protected]

Back to archive top level