tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 23 08:03:05 1996

Re: DS9 #31

According to Christian Matzke:

> I just picked up Malibu Comic's DS9 #31...
>                petlheDrupchoH: Disembark (you will begin being ready
>                to depart)

The translation here is a little rough. It is an imperitive (a
command) to a group of people. "Prepare to depart!" Your
translation sounds less like a command than a prediction. I
also wonder if the {-choH} is really necessary, since that
tends to be implied in any imperitive. Why issue an order if
not to bring about a change in state? I can see some instances
when you might want to explicitly state a {-taH} or maybe even
a {-ta'}, but the {-choH} sounds a little superfluous.

But that's a nit-picky opinion. The suffix clearly works here.

>                                maSqa'

charghwI'

Back to archive top level