tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 22 19:02:13 1996

Re: DS9 #31

>Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 13:39:15 -0800
>From: "Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen"  <[email protected]>

Greetings from San Diego!

>> >quv van je tay: (ritual of) honor and tribute.
>> >                maSaqqa'lI': We are in the process of arriving again.
>> >               petlheDrupchoH: Disembark (you will begin being ready
>> >               to depart)
>>
>> I'm having problems accepting the above phrases.  Come on, someone.  Convince
>> me!

>Damn, I suppose that's probably my job.  :)

>> I prefer {quvvantay}.  I don't like the feeling I get with {je} in the
>> middle.

>I didn't like this one either.  I didn't make it up.  The writer of the story
>actually did some of the Klingon himself and this phrase seemed to be pretty
>much carved in stone.  I don't think I'd go out on a limb so far as to say I'm
>that happy with your suggestion of {quvantay}, but I would think that a ceremony
>such of this would have undergone some linguistic weathering and assumed a
>simpler form than the one they used.

I don't know that quv van je tay is so horrid.  True, it's FAR too long
for the name of a ritual, but in terms of grammaticalness it's okay: (quv
van je) tay: a N-N construction.

>> Disembark = go ashore (Webster's dictionary) = lItHa'

I don't think I like "lItHa'" for "go ashore."  It's not the opposite of
riding, it's the opposite or boarding!

>> Of course, {tIj} means "go aboard."  I have never seen {tIjHa'}, but why
>> wouldn't it work?

Personally, I think I would accept tIjHa'.  It works well for me.

~mark

Back to archive top level