tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 22 07:25:42 1996

"Native Speakers" (was Re: chu' mu'mey nuqDaq vItu'laH'a')

On 20 Jan 96 at 12:28, [email protected] wrote:

> Yes, quite apparently, every language does have grammar rules.  I really
> meant to say that Atayal had not yet been recorded.  The structure of the
> language is there, I just could not refer to any grammar books or other
> sources, not even the people, because they did not even understand the word
> "grammar."

<pe'>

> Well, back to the issue at hand.  I had to memorize what the native speakers
> said for each situation.  Having TKD and discussion amongst the users of this
> listserv is a real advantage over not having any reference sources.  On the
> other hand, I was immersed with native speakers.  Unfortunately, I have not
> yet had ANY practice of tlhIngan Hol with Qo'noS nganpu'.

This leads to a very interesting question...  How are we to define
"native speakers"?  For example, are there *any* "native speakers"
or Esperanto?  Clearly, there was never a land where Esperanto
evolved on it's own!  Perhaps the fact that some people have been
raised speaking the Esperanto from childhood is enough?  If so, can
we look forward to a day when there *will* be "native speakers" of
tlhIngan Hol?

'etlhqengwI'

Garrett Michael Hayes;  Client/Server Labs
8601 Dunwoody Place, Suite 332,  Atlanta, GA 30350
[email protected],  http://www.cslinc.com
770-552-3645 voice, 770-993-4667 fax

Back to archive top level