tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 20 10:27:37 1996

Re: Some risque (not "risky") interpretations

tevram writes:
>You have a word *spoken* on a tape, that y'all have decided is spelled
>/ngagh/.  It's obvious to me that the spelling of the word on the tape
>should be /nga'/ becuase of /nga'chuq/.  Why are y'all so Certain that
>it's /ngagh/ when MO hasn't spoken?  (Except to provide /nga'chuq/??)

Because {nga'chuq} is given with the explanation that the participants
are always the subject of the verb, and {ngagh} is given in an example
which has an object.  It's an interesting insight into the Klingon way
of thinking:  "Having sex" is something you do *with* someone, and not
*to* someone.  "Mating with" is a separate concept.