tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 19 01:50:02 1996

Re: perpetual Today Is A *****

> > > Note: In order to get the meaning you suggest below, this
> > > should have been {QaQ HeghmeH jaj},...
> > I don't think I said quite that.
> So give me the whole sentence. Now it sounds like you want:
> HeghmeH jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'.

Xactly.

> I'm pretty sure its been done and it is not pretty. It remains
> loyal to the noun-centric, judgemental, indirect manner of
> speech common to English.

Why should it be anything more, it's not even a Klingon saying. If the
data I stored in my biological databanks during the original debate years
ago is intact, it's originally from a Terran movie and not even spoken
by a honorable person with respectful aims.

> I mean, what does it really MEAN?
> I strongly believe that the statement was SUPPOSED to mean,
> "I'm willing and ready to die honorably, here and now."

That's what a Klingon would say, yes. However, Worf didn't speak Klingon
when he stated the sentence but decided to choose a Terran equivalent.
The Klingon saying could well be {DaHjaj batlh jIHeghrup}. It certainly
isn't this one. But as a translation of the English sentence this is better
than any of the attempts in the faq. Except yours, but that's a different
thing. And it's certainly better than Chegh-chew jaj-vam jaj-kak uttered
by Gowron.

> charghwI'

 .:ghor:.

Back to archive top level