tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 17 04:23:41 1996

Re: perpetual Today Is A *****

> > (HeghmeH jaj QaQ)
> Note: In order to get the meaning you suggest below, this
> should have been {QaQ HeghmeH jaj}, since the verb with {-meH}
> preceeds the word it is intended to modify, and {jaj} is the
> SUBJECT of {QaQ}.

I don't think I said quite that. Those three words were intended to be the
"object" of a to-be construction. Putting them in your order would be a
sentence. Using a sentence-as-object in this to-be-construction would be
such a mess even the author would have a hard time to decipher it. Even if
it worked. {jaj} is not to be the subject of {QaQ}, it's to be modified by
it. I'm trying to use both {QaQ} and the {-meH} adjectivally to {jaj}.

> Secondly, after one has listed as many exceptions and
> conditionals as you have, I wonder why one would work so hard
> to defend a sentence you do not, yourself, apparently think is
> all that good.

Bear with me. It seems I haven't been properly understood yet, and I
still find this interesting, although you make it clear you don't. I
don't know anyone I could debate about the matter face-to-face, and
even here you are the only one even remotely willing to answer my posts.

> charghwI'

 .:ghor:.

Back to archive top level