tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 15 07:34:50 1996

Re: perpetual Today Is A *****

According to Anttila Riku-Pekka:

> (HeghmeH jaj QaQ)

Note: In order to get the meaning you suggest below, this
should have been {QaQ HeghmeH jaj}, since the verb with {-meH}
preceeds the word it is intended to modify, and {jaj} is the
SUBJECT of {QaQ}.

Secondly, after one has listed as many exceptions and
conditionals as you have, I wonder why one would work so hard
to defend a sentence you do not, yourself, apparently think is
all that good.

Weirdly, I could choose keys in order to construct English
collections of words that do not violate explicit grammatical
laws while being sufficiently ambiguous or rambling such that
the original meaning of my text might be obfiscated, and then
defend to the death my apparent freedom for the cause which I
possess.

But one might wonder why.

> > And then you preface that with {HeghmeH}. Literally, this means,
> > "In order that he dies" but it is true that {-meH} verbs
> > sometimes lack a prefix, thereby incidentally making them
> > APPEAR to have the null prefix. That's why I personally tend to
> > go WAAAAY out of my way to avoid simply dropping an implied
> > prefix on verbs with {-meH}.
>
> I promised I wouldn't keep on babbling about how good the day is for any
> purpose, but I'll need to clarify this thing with -meH. I don't think it
> means "In order that he/they die" here. To me, with jaj in there, it
> could as well say "A day in order to die". I realize opinions vary
> regarding this use of -meH, but here it was intentended to modify the
> noun jaj. It's in TKD, ja'chuqmeH rojHom, remember?
>
> I admit, a noun modified with a -meH thing AND an adjectival verb is
> ugly. Using that with a "to be"-construction makes a sentence even
> uglier. Hardly a thing any native speaker would say. But still, it
> should work, in my belief.
>
> > charghwI'
>
>  .:ghor:.

charghwI'