tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 13 11:25:41 1996

Re: Repetition

ghItlh Qogh.

>     I am an instructor of English as a Second Language..
      We share something.  I've been at it myself for several decades.

>     Immersion is wonderful... very big drawbacks...fosilization. pe'

      Which arises, to a great extent, from the action of a rule whose
existence teachers rarely seem to want to acknowledge.  "The student will
learn what the STUDENT thinks the student ought to learn."  In the example
of immersion I quoted, there was no instructor.  The student monitored
himself (myself).  That, as you say, can create problems, but I was in the
end successful..

>     Instruction through the use of such tools...    pe'

    I used monitoring in both the sense of monitoring by the teacher and
monitoring by the student's own sweet self.  We monitor constantly, for
well or ill.  I monitored my writing of this note.  Thank the powers for
the delete key.  When one monitors oneself, naturally, the standards
applied are one's own standards, but these may be high and the result may
be very good.

     Thank you for your comments.  You have made some of the things I have
been saying even clearer.

     Qapla'

     qeSmIv HarghwI'

Back to archive top level