tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 12 11:20:14 1996

Re: Repetition

> : According to Matt Gomes:
> : >Being an instructional designer, I'd disagree with you that repetitive
> : >drilling is any kind of instruction.  What does that teach you?  And how
> : >effective is it?
>
> And then replied:
> I agree with you, Paul.  Let me be more specific.  Using JUST repetitive
> drills for language acquisition is not an effective learning strategy in and
> of itself.  What you mention here is a model of language instruction that
> incorporates a host of other instructional methods.  You've taken "repetitive
> drilling" and added quite a few other aspect to it.
>
> What I was trying to say is... one of the best ways to learn a language is
> to start USING it in a way that's MEANINGFUL to you.  Is repetition meaningful
> to you?  Will you go up to a warrior and start saying, "friend, jup, write,
> ghItlh, here-abouts, naDev"?  No... you'd start talking to him, make mistakes,
> he'll (hopefully) give you constructive feedback and you start the learning
> process.  Just like you said... immersion-type.
>

> -majIq

OK time for my two cents worth.

     I am an instructor of English as a Second Language.  That's what
I study.  That's what I do.  I am studying both linguistics and
education at MA level.

     Immersion is wonderful.  It gives the student a feeling of
acomplishment that is needed to keep motivation high.  It continually
exposes the learner to native-speaker use of the language, and it
helps the students to see the usefullness of what he or she is
learning.  Unfortunately, it has some very big drawbacks.

     The most troubling of these is a condition known as
fosilization.  Once fosilization has occurred it is a teachers
nightmare to undo.  What happens is the student reaches the level of
communicative competence long before he or she achieves fluency.  In
other words the language learner is able to express the desired
meaning in a way that the native speaker can understand, but is not
correct native-speaker usage.  The listener understands.  The speaker
achieves the desired result.  The impetus for progress is lost, and
learning of any significance stops.

     Instruction through the use of such tools as MONITORED
drills is invaluable.  These drills can take numerous highly creative
forms.  They need not be mindless droning.  That kind of repetition
IS useless.  But for the learner trapped in fosilization it is the
only way out.  The students out-put must be compared to a strict
standard of compaison till the need for improvement is percieved.
Then progress in the target language can commence.

     Maybe that's more that two cents worth, but I'll get down off my
soap box now.  Thank you. *bows* {{:-)

Qapla'

Qogh.

Back to archive top level