tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 12 06:49:35 1996

Re: Can one learn Klingon TOO well?

I agree with Mr Anderson's statement. We are learning Klingon as if
it was s dialect of English.

For Eris' sakes, guys, read the book! Where does Marc Okrand describe
verbs as "stative?" Just because they describe something in English
as"be green," doesn't mean you can't describe something as
<paq SuD> <The Green Book,> just because your English Language
grammatical brainwashing insists that the translation comes out in
your minds as <the/a/book - be - green.>

Marc Okrand states, in one of his tapes (and I leave it to you to
determine _which_ one) that Klingon is NOT Italian. I maintain that
it is NOT English, either. It follows its own rules, which includes
the rule on Page 9 of TKD, which I recommend _everyone_ go back
and read, and then staple to their foreheads. The rule states:

"... It should be remembered that although the rules say "always" and
"never," when Klingon is actually spoken these rules are sometimes
broken. What these rules represent, in other words, is what Klingon
grammarians agree on as the "best" Klingon ..."

Remember: when translating Klingon, _keep it simple!_

 I mean, will Kahless _really_ come down on us for saying
<HeghmeH QaQ jaj'e'> for <It is a good day to die?> or
<meQbogh qachDaq SuvtaH qoH neH> for <Only a fool fights in
a burning house?>

The language gives us such marvellous brevity as can be found in
the phrase <qaleghnISbej> (4 syllalbes) meaning <I definitely need
to see you> (9 syllables). Why spoil it by trying to translate a
Klingon sentence using English grammar?

peSuvqu'

Alexander T Greene.
"Remember; nothing is certain, except uncertainty. And I'm not even certain about that."
email me on [email protected]. Just call me Lord Sinister

Back to archive top level