tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 12 06:44:05 1996

Re: _Memory_Prime_

On Thu, 11 Jan 1996, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> >Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 07:39:24 -0800
> >From: Joel Peter Anderson <[email protected]>
>
> >    a pub called Hagh vulqangan ("The Laughing Vulcan")
>
> Could be worse.  Naming places full sentences is actually not so bad.
>
> >    an exchange between the barkeep and a patron:
>
> >    "nuqneH, vulqangan?"
>
> >    "bIQ."
>
> Hey, literal use of nuqneH!  Alright!

I should note, that the text of the book doesn't translate
the pub's name, so yes, "the Vulcan Laughs" is probably
better.  The two dimensional sign over the pub door shows
"a monstrously fat Vulcan clutching two Orion slave women
to his folds of flesh.", BTW.

And, the text also notes, regarding the barkeep's greeting:

"Starn considered for a moment that in this setting the
standard Klingon greeting actually made sense."

    joel peter anderson * [email protected]
       [email protected] * [email protected]
               mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej
         yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'