tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 09 19:53:38 1996

Re: <`op> `oH nuq????

Alexander T Greene writes:
>Alexander T Greene UK-Daq jIH.

Things like locatives, time-stamps, adverbials, and the like appear
before the object of a sentence.  Your {UK-Daq} needs to come first.
(That assumes that this is a correct use of {jIH} in the first place,
but I'm not going to complain about it right now.  We all know what
you mean, and that's at least as important as theoretical arguments
about "to be" in Klingon.)

>qaStaHvIS Hut ben tlhIngan Hol
>vIghojtaH. reH muvuQ Holvam Dajqu'.

maj.  qaStaHvIS poH nI' bIghojtaH!

>mubel qaqIH 'e'.

{'e'} is always an object, and must precede its verb.  It looks like
you're trying to use the sentence {mubel} as the subject of {qaqIH},
and you can't use {'e'} for that.  Actually, there doesn't appear to
be ANY way to use a sentence as a subject in Klingon.  Also, {mubel}
itself isn't quite grammatical.  {bel} "be pleased" is a stative verb,
and stative verbs don't take objects.  The {mu-} prefix says "me" is
the object, but "It is pleased me" doesn't make sense.  You probably
want to say {jIbel} "I am pleased."

To say something like "I am pleased that you meet me," you need to
rephrase to something like "because you meet me I am pleased," or
"I enjoy that you meet me."

>mu' chu' 'oHlaw' <'op>. mu'tlheghvetlh vIlaD je. chaq tugh Dochvam QIjchu'
>Marc Okrand.

maj.  reH matullaH.

>chaq <Part of, a subset of a larger set> net <'op> mughlu',
><the whole of a small set> net mu' mughlu'be'.

jIyajbe'.  You've used {net} and {-lu'} at the same time, but {net}
includes the "indefinite subject" meaning.  You also have apparently
put two or three objects on each verb.  {net} refers to the previous
sentence, but you don't have a previous sentence for it to refer to.
This is sufficiently confused that I won't try to figure it out.

>chaq <naQbe'> vIlo' 'e' vIwIvpu'.

I understand this, but you've fallen afoul of an obscure rule in TKD.
Section 6.2.5 "Sentences as Objects" tells us that in sentences using
{'e'}, the second verb never takes a type 7 (aspect) suffix.  You'll
have to move the {-pu'} to the {vIlo'} in order to keep the meaning
while making it grammatical.

>bISuvtaHvIS bIHaghjaj ...

Hagh qoH'pu' neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'.