tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 05 17:46:39 1996

Some more about {-ghach}

I happen to be one of those who disapproves of overuse of {-ghach}.  While it
is difficult to interpret TKD 4.2.9, I believe that {-ghach} should only be
used to restore the "nounness" of a word which is both a noun and a verb, and
which has had a verb suffix added onto it.  Thus, one could use
{choHHa'ghach} "restoration", but not {~'IptaHghach} "fatness."  For whoever
may be interested, I have collected all the words in TKD which are both nouns
and verbs, and thus qualify for use with {-ghach} (that is, according to this
interpretation).  This is the full list of words which can take {-ghach}.

As you can see from the list below, there are quite a few words which can be
used.  Some of the constructions possible with {-ghach} lead to many
interesting and difficult-to-grasp meanings.  I am also not certain about all
of these words; some nouns and verbs may not be related to each other as I
think.  These are marked by a *.  Be aware that I haven't gone over this too
thoroughly; I whipped it together while standing outside the library in
freezing weather, waiting for it to open so I'd have somewhere warm to wait
for an hour!

bach	HoS	pegh	Seng
bel	Hub	per	Sov
bep*	jech	pIch	ta'
bIj	jIH*	poH	tob
boQ	jol	pong	toD
chav	joS	potlh	tuj
cho'	laj	pum	tlhab
chuv*	lam*	qaD	tlhIl
Daw'	leH	qeq	tlho'
DuH	leng	qeS	tlhuH
Duy'	loH	qum	van
ghar	lo'	quv	vergh
ghItlh	meq	Qagh	vIt
ghoch*	mIS	QaH	wem
ghom	mol*	QeH	wIv
ghong	much	QIH	yIn
ghuH	nab	Qob	yoD
ghum	naD	Quj
Hegh	nob	QuS
HeS	nov	roj
HIv**	nong	rop
HoH	pab*	Sar

**A note on {HIv}: I include this word in the list because I believe it is
used twice in Star Trek V as a noun: in "Alter the attack course," {HIvHe},
and "Estimating attack range . . ." {HIvchuq}.  Feel free to disagree with
the inclusion of {HIv} in this list.

If I've missed any, if I put in one you disagree with, or if you don't
understand why I *'d a word, be sure to say so!  Not only was I cold when I
wrote this, I am now experiencing a low blood-sugar level which is preventing
me from concentrating too hard on this sort of thing!

tugh Soj vItu'jaj!

SuStel
Hovjaj 96013.8

Back to archive top level