tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 03 12:18:06 1996

Re: ummm..... uh-oh.....

On  3 Jan 96 at 11:22, Banger-Troll from Heck... wrote:

> I seem to have gotten myself in a little over my forehead this time... I have
> absolutely no idea what any of you are saying! I'm not THAT much into the
> Klingon language - I know a few key words and phrases, but that's it - so
> whenever I get any mail in Klingon, all I can really do is delete it. Should I
> unsubscribe from this list, or just ride it out? AAAIIIIIEEEEEEEE.......!!

yIghoSQo'!  DaghojlaH

That said, I find the hardest part of translating from tlhIngan Hol
is figuring our how to break up the words, so I can look them up.
For me, the light has begun to dawn as I am learning to recognize the
key prefixes and suffixes.

Here's a hint.....

yI - ghoS - Qo'                       1 prefix, 1 verb, 1 suffix

Da - ghoj - laH                      also, 1 prefix, 1 verb, 1 suffix

As you start to get the feel of such things as <yI> and <Qo'>, you
will recognoze right away that you are being GIVEN A COMMAND, and
that the command is NOT to do something.

In the second word, you will begin to see quickly that the verb
applies to you, it is not a command, and it says something about
ability.

Now just look up the verbs!

'etlhqengwI'

Garrett Michael Hayes;  Client/Server Labs
8601 Dunwoody Place, Suite 332,  Atlanta, GA 30350
[email protected],  http://www.cslinc.com
770-552-3645 voice, 770-993-4667 fax
"Many notions deserve a healthy
application of Occam's machete."